Facts about Barnehurst
- Barnehurst was formed in 1881 after the sale of land for housing although the area can be traced back in records to the 15th century.
- The name Barnehurst originates from the family name Barne and the saxon word hurst, meaning a wood or grove.
- In the 1930's there use to be a Barclays Bank and WH Smith in Midfield Parade.
- The first school was built in 1926 near Northumberland Heath.
- The Red Barn pub opened in 1936 and was home to Jazz legend George Webb and the Dixielanders.
- Several public air raid shelters were built in Barnehurst and some still exists.
- A local magazine, The Barnehurst Bulletin, ran for 2 years from 1935 to 1937.
- Martens Grove open air swimming pool was first built in 1933 and was not much more than a muddy lake!
- Barnehurst is 12.5 miles from Charing Cross.
- The railway station opened in 1895.
- Mayplace Road is named after the May Place manor house that was located where the Golf Club is now.
- Barnehurst Golf Club opened in 1903 and was the world's first ladies golf club.
- Barnehurst has a population of around 11,000.
- Delia Smith went to school in nearby Bexleyheath and Benny Hill was a regular visitor to his sister's house near Pinnacle Hill.
- Barnehurst had a popular Residents Association Club with live bands and music at Parkside Cross/Taunton Close - it was demolished in 1965.
Got an interesting fact? Send it in to;